Lots of activities will be taking place in Caney and the surrounding area this weekend, Sept. 7-8, with one of the highlights being the Kan-Okla 100 Mile Highway Sale featuring hundreds of yard sales in southeast Kansas and northeast Oklahoma. The weather forecast is also looking on the cooler side with lower temperatures which should make shopping more enjoyable.
In Caney, local residents will be hosting their own sales for all bargain hunters to browse and shop the items. Shoppers’ maps, courtesy of the Caney Chamber of Commerce, will be available at several locations in Caney including the convenience stores.
Several residents will have their booths set up in Wark Park, while others will have their sales at local residences or downtown businesses.
• SEK Blue Star Mothers BBQ, Sale: The Southeast Kansas Blue Star Mothers 4th Annual Bar-B-Que Dinner and Garage Sale fundraiser will take place in Wark Park, Caney on Sept. 7-8. For a donation of $5 a barbecue brisket sandwich, chips and drink, or for a $4 donation a hotdog, chips and drink will be available, plus the organization will have garage sale items to sell.
• Antique power association flea market: The Caney Valley Antique Power Association will also participate in the 100 Mile Highway Sale and vendors are welcome to set up their booths at the CVAPA show grounds located north of Caney on Hwy. 75. Electric hook-ups, modern restrooms and water are available. Vendors should bring their own tables, chairs and shade structures.
For more information contact JoAnne Ernest at 620-870-0375.
• First Christian Church to sell hot dogs, hamburgers: The Caney First Christian Church youth will sponsor a hamburger/hot dog meal on Saturday, Sept. 8, during the Kan-Okla 100 Mile Highway Sale. The youth group will be at the corner of 1st Street and Highway 75 (308 N. McGee) selling their food items.
The kids will also be hosting a yard sale at the same location on Saturday.
Proceeds from the event will be used for youth camps, retreats and other youth activities.
• J’s Corner STore in Tyro hold sales: J’s Corner Store & More, Tyro, will feature vendors selling their wares inside and outside the store on Sept. 7-8. Live Christian music will also be played outside plus Chef Larry will be featuring his menu items from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• More events, towns: Caney, along with a number of area towns, will be seeing lots of shoppers and others interested in visiting the towns’ tourist attractions on Sept. 7-8. Organizers of the Kan-Okla 100 Mile Sale said this event has grown each year since its inception and thousands of people now travel and shop the fall weekend attraction.